School Direct is a unique teacher training programme which allows you to train alongside experienced professionals. You will get to spend a vast majority of your time in a school or college setting whilst you train.
You will have the opportunity to complete a placement at one of our partner high schools, which make up The Newman Teaching Alliance. You will also complete one placement at Cardinal Newman itself. This will offer great advantages in terms of employability as you will be genuinely trained across the 11-18 age range.
We believe that the outstanding reputation of Cardinal Newman, along with our partner high schools, can only improve your employment prospects as a trainee teacher. Equally, it will also ensure the highest quality training provided by outstanding teachers and managers from Cardinal Newman and its partners.
Our School Direct course is in partnership with Edge Hill University, one of the country’s leading providers of teacher training. Edge Hill has built an outstanding reputation over a 130-year history of providing high-quality teacher education. We are thrilled to be working with the North West’s premier ITT provider in what is their biggest School Direct partnership in Lancashire.
The training lasts for one academic year and leads to the qualification of an Edge Hill University PGCE and QTS. You will also have the opportunity to gain credits towards a Masters qualification. The qualification awarded is a secondary PGCE.
During the academic year, trainees will typically spend four days a week on their first placement from September to January. One day a week will be dedicated to training provided by experts in a given field from Cardinal Newman, the partner high schools, Edge Hill University and other external organisations. Each afternoon, the trainees will receive subject-specific support and training from their subject leads at Cardinal Newman or subject tutors at Edge Hill University.
From February until June, trainees will be based five days a week on their second placement.
The Newman Teaching Alliance is made up of six excellent partner high schools. All of these schools are local, long-standing partners of Cardinal Newman. We are delighted to be working with schools who have such strong local reputations and all with experience in providing outstanding teacher training.
Our partner schools are:
– Holy Cross Catholic High School, Chorley
– Penwortham Girls High School, Penwortham, Preston
– Penwortham Priory Academy, Penwortham, Preston
– St Bede’s Catholic High School, Lytham
– Parklands Academy, Chorley
– Darwen Aldridge Academy, Darwen
We offer teacher training positions in the following subjects:
– Business Studies
– Computer Science
– Modern Foreign Languages
– Religious Studies
At Cardinal Newman, we have a real commitment to our students and pride ourselves on providing a community of support for all our students. You can expect to receive a great deal of support throughout the course, including:
– The Head of School Direct, Justine Barlow, and the Programme Leader, Cheryl Glover, both based at Cardinal Newman
– A Subject Mentor on all school and college placements
– A Professional Mentor on all placements who oversees the training within their school
– A designated Subject Lead based at Cardinal Newman who provides subject-specific training and support for an afternoon a week through the first six months of the course
– A designated Subject Tutor at Edge Hill University who will provide support with the four academic assignments contributing to the award of the secondary PGCE
– A PQO (Partnership Quality Officer) from Edge Hill University
You will also receive pre- and post- course support which will be designed to help you successfully apply for the right course and move to a successful career following your training.