Message from the Principal – January 2021
Message to Students/Parents/Carers from the Principal
I hope you are all keeping well and were able to enjoy the Christmas break. I know the latest announcement of a lockdown from the Government will be a concern for you all. I can reassure you that despite all the challenges facing us, we were ready for this lockdown. The College planned its blended delivery for the possibility of further lockdowns and the timetable has adjusted to online teaching and learning smoothly. We also managed last year’s grading process well – our previous outstanding performance protected students and was reflected in our 2020 results.
We expect to be online now until at least the February half-term break and below I’ve outlined how we plan to approach this half term.
1. All staff and students are asked to work from home to support the national lockdown and to protect our community.
2. The College is here for all our students and if you need any support please ask your Achievement Tutor or Teacher and we will do our best to help. Any student who is vulnerable will be able to attend College with the permission of their Achievement Tutor and details on attending will be outlined to these students.
3. Any student with significant IT or Wi-Fi issues should contact their
Achievement Tutor who will refer them to Student Services and we will ensure that we resolve the problem.
4. The Department of Education has just announced that exam grades will have significant input from teachers. Therefore, it is as important as ever to engage with your lessons and teachers. For Year 13 students CAP5 has probably grown in importance and with that in mind, we will delay it until the summer term. That said, any teacher awarded grade from the college will be based on all evidence available not a single exam. This advice holds as true for Year 12 students too, regardless if they have an exam this year or not. As soon as we have clarity on how grades will be awarded we will share it with you.
5. All College departments are available to support you and regardless of the issue, if you want our help please ask and we will do our best for you.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank students, parents, carers and staff for the way in which this community has come together and supported each other through the pandemic. We are not yet through this but with what we have achieved so far I am confident that we are well placed to get you the grades your hard work, talent and resilience deserves.