Live in Lockdown: Looking After Me
Foundation Learning Students have continued to work hard from home, as, along with the rest of the world, they have had to adapt to online learning. As ever, our students have really impressed us with their commitment and dedication to their learning, working hard to not let the global pandemic get in the way of their accreditation and aspirations.
As a break from their curriculum-based learning, in the run up to half term, the focus shifted to helping students to focus on their wellbeing. Students spent a week off timetable focusing on a unit entitled ‘Looking after ME over lockdown’, which consisted of online sessions focussed on self-care strategies to boost physical, emotional and mental wellbeing throughout these difficult times.
Some activities which the students were involved with were:
- The ‘around the house’ workout
- ‘Just breathe’- breathing techniques
- Laughter is the best medicine- Joke & Story sharing
- ‘Calm’ stories
- What I love about Me
- ‘Unclutter the bedroom, Unclutter the mind’ session
- Shiatsu self-massage
- Learn the ‘Cha Cha Slide’
- Growth mindset TED talk
- I’m grateful for……
- February half term- ‘What to do?’
- ‘The compliment circle’ – giving and receiving compliments
- Headspace meditation – being grateful
Over the week students were set various tasks around drinking water, sleep curfews, limiting screen time, helping at home, eating balanced foods and maximising activity and time spent outdoors.
Students responded really well to the range of activities over the 90-minute sessions and have developed many new skills they can now use and to help them thrive through lockdown.