Dentistry – Medical Society
Dentistry Key Points:
Dentistry – Medical Society key points and useful information;
- 18 UK dental schools to choose from.
- A-Level sciences are essential – check details at the site below.
- Typically, grades AAA are required at A level.
- Good health essential (declare anything serious).
- Might need to do BMAT or UKCAT test.
- Pre-application work experience in a clinical/ care setting is essential (e.g. care home, assisting nurses, dental practice, hospice).
- Normally takes 5 years plus a year of foundation (practical/ vocational) training.
- First 2 years of study are often preclinical – theory, case studies, relating to patients.
- Then 3 years of clinical training.
- Assessment by exams, coursework and observation of clinical examination.
- Possible Intercalated degree.
- Dentists are sometimes self-employed or work in private practice.
- Or you might work in a hospital or in a community health context (employed by NHS).
Dental Schools Council >